More than 200 people gathered at The Forest of Arden Hotel near Birmingham, a new venue for Shaw healthcare’s annual Star Awards. The award programme aims to recognise and celebrate the achievements of outstanding staff members from amongst Shaw’s 4,600-strong workforce, based at more than 80 care facilities across the UK.
Warmere Court care home in Yapton and Thackley Green care home in Corby won the two care home awards, while individual winners included:
· Donna Culley, activity champion at Burleys Wood care home, Crawley, for the WHK (Wellness, Happiness, Kindness) award;
· Rachel Steele, recognised as administrator of the year at Maes-y-Dderwen care home in Tredegar;
· David Thompson, a charge nurse at Surehaven Glasgow, who was named in the clinical excellence category;
· Debra Derham, head of workforce development, who was named exceptional leader;
· Leanne Cape, head cook at Maes y dderwen in Tredegar, who picked up the star baker accolade
There were a number of joint winners on the evening for categories that included:
· inspirational individual – Karen Jeffries and Patrycja Stepka;
· most successful mentor – Sandra Cairney and Zoe Icke;
· outstanding management – Caroline Carter and Angie Douglass
All winners were nominated by colleagues and selected by a panel of Shaw healthcare’s executive team. Care homes and staff who were shortlisted also received recognition.
Jeremy Nixey, chief executive of Shaw healthcare, said: “It is incredible to think that the first Shaw Star Awards was held a decade ago, as it has become such an important fixture in the annual calendar. We are delighted to have been able to recognise the hard work of dozens of staff members, over that time, in various roles and from across the Shaw healthcare family.
“The Shaw Star Awards is an event that celebrates and acknowledges everything that is great about the care industry; the compassion, the empathy and the camaraderie, but above all else, the ability to make a positive difference to the lives of others. A lot has changed in the sector over the last 10 years, but one constant is the need for great people and Shaw is fortunate to have so many in its ranks.
“Those shortlisted, alongside the winners of each category, can feel very proud in the knowledge that nominations are submitted by fellow colleagues, those who use our services and their families and we want to say a big “well done” them all for going the extra mile.”
Shaw healthcare is one of the UK’s leading health and social care providers. It provides care to individuals in nursing and residential homes, hospitals, supported living arrangements, extra care schemes and domiciliary care settings.
Its services range from comprehensive care packages through to low level support in the community for older people and adults with physical, sensory or mental health support needs.