National homecare provider Home Instead Senior Care has received a 4th Outstanding Rating from the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Its Exeter and East Devon office opened by caring couple Mark and Vanessa McGlade five years ago is the company’s latest office to receive the highest rating possible in the CQC’s Ofsted-style system.
The rating makes the McGlades the first homecare provider in the South West specialising in senior care to receive an Outstanding. Together, caring couple Mark and Vanessa had a clear vision. They wanted to offer the highest quality, relationship-led support for older people across Exeter and East Devon – care that would be good enough for their own mum or dad.
Their vision has been turned into reality – they currently support more than 135 clients and employ over 90 staff throughout Exeter and East Devon.
“We set out five years ago with a vision to be the ‘best of breed’ in homecare for the elderly in Exeter and East Devon. Becoming the first homecare provider in the South West specialising in senior care to receive a CQC Outstanding Rating is our dream come true and marks our commitment to continuous improvement throughout the journey,” said Mark.
Added Vanessa: “Our Outstanding Rating pays testimony to our teamwork and to everyone’s commitment to providing care that comes from the heart, care with a family feel.”
As part of the inspection, Home Instead clients told CQC inspectors:
- “They are more of a family to us…they are people we know so well and get regularly.”
- “They maintain my dignity naturally.”
- “The care we are getting is exceptional and the staff are brilliant.”
- “The girls got to know me, what I liked and what I don’t like which was important to me.”
- “As a care worker I always have time to chat to my clients and do any jobs that need doing. Having that time allows clients to feel important and cared for.”
- “They take care of clients and CAREGivers, which is so important to the running of a great company. I feel a valued member of a strong team.”
- “Home Instead has a real caring nature to their staff and any concerns are always met by a friendly and positive attitude.”
And healthcare professionals told CQC inspectors:
- “All I can say from my dealings with this agency is that I have found them to be first rate including being very attentive and responsive to the client’s needs and requirements.”
- “I have recommended Home Instead to my family. I have always found them responsive and act on professional’s advice.”
- We have used Home Instead on a number of occasions and find them to be professional but more importantly flexible and everyone we have met has shown passion for later life care and empathy.”
Deborah Ivanova, Interim Deputy Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care at the CQC, said: “This is the fourth Home Instead Senior Care service CQC have found to give outstanding care and the first in the South West. I am struck by the extent to which the service goes that extra mile and places the people it supports at the centre of everything it does.
“What really impressed me from reading the inspection report and speaking with those involved in the inspection was the level of personalised support that people received, from staff who had the right skills and who treated them with kindness, compassion and dignity. People told us they liked the staff who supported them, and staff themselves declared it a great place to work.
“People should always be cared for by services that are safe, effective, caring, responsive to their needs, and well led. I would encourage other providers to read this report, and the others we have published on services we have rated Outstanding, to see what they can learn.”
Trevor Brocklebank, Home Instead Senior Care Chief Executive, said: “Congratulations to Mark, Vanessa, their office team and CAREGivers and thank you. You have realised the Home Instead mission to change the face of ageing and make companionship-led quality care a reality in Exeter and East Devon.
“A fantastic four Outstandings from the CCQ marks out our relationship model as homecare at its very best. Care for seniors delivered with dignity and compassion and above all else, with time to care.”
Home Instead Senior Care’s West Lancashire and Chorley office received an Outstanding Rating in January 2015, its Wimbledon & Kingston office and its Durham Office received Outstanding Ratings earlier in 2016.