It was only after friends lost their son that Ian Wilkie, Director of Healthcare Property Consultants Limited became aware of the extent of the problem of young male suicide in the UK. If you are not already familiar with the numbers, the statistics below will shock you:
- In 2013 there were 4,858 male suicides in the UK
- That means we are losing more than 13 men every day of the year, more than one every 2 hours
- Males account for 78% of all suicides in the UK
- Suicide is the single biggest killer of males aged 20 – 45
- More young men die each year as a result of suicide than road accidents, HIV and assaults combined
The Campaign Against Living Miserably, CALM, is a charity dedicated to preventing male suicide in the UK through practical support, including a helpline and online services, and by promoting long-term cultural change. CALM offers invaluable support to vulnerable men and yet struggles to raise funding and awareness. Every £6 raised can fund a potentially life-saving call.
Together with his sons, Craig & Elliot, Ian has decided to raise funds for CALM by taking on the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge on 30th May this year. This 25 mile route takes in the summits of Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough. With a combined height of over 7,000 feet, the challenge is to complete the course in under 12 hours.
If you’d like to donate to this worthy cause please visit their JustGiving page via the following link to find out more and help Ian’s family raise money. Suicide is a tragedy for those involved and shattering for those left behind. CALM do a great job in trying to prevent this and will be immensely grateful for all donations: